SEPTEMBER 13 - 17, 2017
One of the world’s most original spectacles of art, science and engineering, will erupt this September 13 - 17 when the fifth annual Beakerhead hits Calgary.
A sandbox for creativity – Open to Everyone!
Beakerhead is a spectacle of unimaginable proportions where human ingenuity is on display in every nook and cranny across the city – for FIVE days!
With over 60 events and programs to choose from, Beakerhead has something for everyone including large-scale mechanical public art, celebrations of space, concerts, performances, science-themed culinary experiences, hands-on workshops, bizarre vehicles, and spontaneous acts of technical and digital artworks popping up in unexpected places.
In 2017, Beakerhead celebrates the ups and downs of experimentation and invention!
A special Canada 150 version of Beakerhead will see Calgary’s downtown core become a canvas for a larger-than-life interactive experience where visitors will navigate to and from Beakerhead encounters a la Snakes and Ladders.
In addition to Snakes and Ladders sites (most of which are free to access) Beakerhead 2017 events will also include:
* Four-to-Six: Highly social science! A daily block party jam-packed with hands-on encounters with robots, music, VR headsets, edible anatomy, mathematicians playing Plinko, and conduct a dog orchestra with the help of near field communication devices.
* Engineered Eats: Cooking is chemistry… and art! Explore over two dozen participating restaurants’ Beakerhead-themed creations.
* Hack the Flyer: Watch as teams compete in the ultimate challenge of DIY engineering skills: hacking the classic Radio Flyer red wagons to race down the pathway propelled by anything but human force.
* Workshops and Tours: Treat a tattoo parlour like a laboratory, meet wearable technology designers, build your own drone, or learn about your brain while treading water with synchronized swimmers. Plenty of experiences are in the works for this year!.
* Beakernight: As the sun sets on Saturday, September 16, the night will come to life with Beakerhead’s flagship party (and 50,000+ participants!). Ride a crane, be wowed by massive 3D projections, dance beneath glowing inflatable artworks, watch BIG BANG science demos, ride in a human-sized hamster wheel, and be amazed (truly) by science rap battles.
The full event program will be available in August 2017.