Tourism Calgary tells Calgary stories at GoMedia and Travel Classics Conference
Tourism Calgary attended two travel media marketplaces to engage and pitch story ideas to various travel media journalists, editors and bloggers. Each marketplace presented the opportunity to reach key influencers in the travel media industry. The three marketplaces attended were:
- Travel Classics West Writers Conference – Banff, Alberta (Aug 15-18)
- More than 80 editors and freelance writers attended this conference
- Tourism Calgary partnered with the Calgary Stampede to sponsor a dinner at the conference to showcase Calgary as a premiere tourism destination. With speeches from Deanne Carson and Stewart McDonough, and a musical performance by Jake Mathews we were able to bring the flavour of Calgary to the conference.
- GoMedia Marketplace – Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island (Sept 9-12)
- More than 350 international media outlets, editors, journalists and industry partners
- Tourism Calgary partnered with Heritage Park to sponsor a lunch at the event to showcase the Park’s 50th Anniversary. By bringing local Calgary talent Jocelyn & Lisa and Steve Nagy, we transformed the Delta Hotel ballroom into a 1920s style train car. This event will be replicated at the Travel Alberta Conference in October and Canada’s West Marketplace in November.
At GoMedia, we encouraged media attendees to tell us their favourite thing about Calgary on Twitter using #HP50YYC. We wanted to create awareness of Calgary via the attendees online communities. The incentive to win a media FAM trip to Calgary to experience Heritage Park’s 50th Anniversary contributed to the overall success of this initiative.