While Calgary is known for music exports like Paul Brandt and Tegan and Sara, this city has a great live music platform from Indie Rock to Hip Hop and Jazz. You can leap to your feet and cheer for your favourite band at our many music festivals or kick back and let the music wrap its arms around you at Calgary's intimate music venues.
- It’s not unlikely that at Calgary’s Sled Island Music and Arts Festival you could be in line for a show with a band you just watched at the last venue. This June festival takes over multiple venues and re-imagines unconventional spaces as creative
locations for gigs and art. From churches to pubs, from hot dog restaurants to parks, Sled Island brings in 200 bands from around the world for five days of musical indulgence.
- The Calgary Folk Music Festival is set in the heart of the city at Princess Island Park. In any given year, see rock stars rub shoulders with local bluegrass pickers, hear throat-singing monks trade riffs with Celtic fiddlers, and watch young rappers get schooled by ancient blues legends.
Calgary’s theatre and film culture has a rich history, with 2012 celebrating 100th anniversary of Western Canada's oldest theatre company, Theatre Junction GRAND to the 10th Annual Calgary Underground Festival . The following are a few more involved in some of Calgary’s best performances:
- For four weeks in January the High Performance Rodeo takes over Calgary’s downtown. This international festival of the arts encompasses theatre, music, dance, comedy and interdisciplinary art.Whether it’s strangely dramatic behind the scene theatre tours or art displays in the downtown +15 walkway, art takes over the city. The festival brings local, national and international performers together to share award-winning performances and to debut some upcoming works.
- The EPCOR Centre for the Performing Arts is the downtown theatre hub, and hosts Theatre Calgary, Alberta Theatre Projects and One Yellow Rabbit
- There are also wonderful productions happening all the time at the more indie-feeling Pumphouse Theatre, Theatre Junction, Vertigo Theatre and Loose Moose Theatre
- Rosebud Theatre is a hidden gem in rural Alberta that we recommend checking out